Healthy and compact, seeds are the latest food to receive plenty of nutritional buzz. They come in all different sizes, shapes and colours, if you’re looking for a high quality, nutritious and filling snack. Seeds are tough to beat!
Seeds may be tiny, but they’re packed with nutrients like protein, fiber, iron, vitamins and omega-3 fatty acids. Let’s view some benefits of few seeds.
Health benefits of Chia seeds
Chia seeds are tiny black seeds which comes from the plant Salvia Hispanica.
Chia seeds are packed full of healthy nutrients. They are good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which help to raise the HDL cholesterol (which is known as good cholesterol that helps to protect us against heart attack and stroke).
Chia seeds are high in quality protein: They contain a good balance of essential amino acids [which body is unable to make & they are obtained by food sources]. As compared to other grains & seeds the protein availability in raw chia seeds is high.
Aids us in weight loss: The fiber in chia seeds absorbs large amount of water & expands in the stomach. Due to which people achieve satiety earlier & the appetite reduces. Thus it is a good option for people with large appetite.
Chia seeds & heart health: Chia seeds are rich in dietary fiber & omega 3 acids, which helps in reducing bad cholesterol & lowers risk of heart attacks. Thus they have heart protective properties as well.
Health benefits of Garden cress seeds
Garden cress seeds are also known as halim in hindi. They are locally available in grocery & ayurvedic stores. It is genetically related to watercress and mustard seeds, sharing their peppery, tangy flavor and aroma, the nutritive value of the same is very high.
Helps in Iron deficiency: Garden cress seeds are very high in Iron and Folic acid. They help in managing iron deficiency anemia by helping the levels of iron in the body.
Hemp seeds & Weight loss: Hemp seeds are also a good source of Omega 3 fatty acids, which are said to have anti- obesity properties, thus snacking on hemp seeds can lead to increasing the satiety levels in overweight people or for those who are aiming weight loss.Galactogogue: Garden cress seeds are not just high in iron & folic acid but also contain linoleic acid & phytochemicals which helps to regulate menstrual cycle & increases milk supply in lactating mothers. Thus garden cress seeds are advisable for mothers after their delivery.
Health benefits of hemp seeds
Hemp seeds have the most concentrated balance of proteins, essential fats and vitamins. They belong to the genus Cannibus Sativa. It has been cultivated for 1000 of years as they are good source of fiber, edible gum, edible oil, edible seeds & lubricants.
Helps in controlling diabetes: This is mainly due to its healthy fats present in hemp seeds which helps in the quick absorption of glucose from the bloodstream and converting it into energy. Thus reducing sugar cravings and increasing energy levels. Also, the protein and fiber in hemp combine to slow digestion, which prevents spikes in blood sugar.
- Helps in lowering bad cholesterol: It is a great source of phytosterol which helps in fighting bad cholesterol & also it is a great source of EFA’S i.e good fat, which helps in reducing the levels of unhealthy fats, thus preventing the buildup of plaque in the arteries.
Health benefits of flax seeds
The seeds come from flax, one of the oldest fiber crops in the world – known to have been cultivated in ancient Egypt and China.
Flaxseeds, sometimes are called linseeds, are small, brown, tan or golden-colored seeds that are the richest sources of a plant-based omega-3 fatty acids, called alpha-linoleic acid (ALA) in the world!
- Improves Digestive Health: The ALA in flax can help protect the lining of the digestive tract and maintain GI health.
Helps in lowering cholesterol: The soluble fiber content of flax seeds trap fat and cholesterol in the digestive system so that it unable to be absorbed. Soluble fiber also traps bile, which is made from cholesterol in the gallbladder. The bile is then excreted through the digestive system, forcing the body to make more, using up excess cholesterol in the blood and lowering cholesterol overall.
Weight loss: Flax is full of healthy fats and fiber, it will help you feel satisfied longer so you will eat fewer calories overall which may lead to weight loss.
Health benefits of pumpkin seeds
With a wide variety of nutrients like magnesium, manganese, copper, protein and zinc, pumpkin seeds are nutritional powerhouses wrapped up in a very small package. They can be consumed raw, roasted forms & many more.
- Heart Healthy: Magnesium in pumpkin seeds has been shown to benefit your blood pressure and help prevent heart attack and stroke.
- Boost Immunity: Pumpkin seeds are a rich source of zinc, which is important for burning fat and also help in boosting immunity.
Health benefits of sunflowers seeds
Sunflower seeds are the gift of the beautiful sunflower. The flower produces grayish greenish & tear drop shape seeds. It is an excellent source of vitamin E and a very good source of copper and vitamin B1.
Magnesium stores-As it has high levels of magnesium: It is known for soothing the nerves, thus easing away stress, migraines and helping the body to relax faster.
- Vitamin b1: It is a high source of Vit B1 that stimulates enzymes which convert food into energy and gives you a kick start to your metabolism, increasing your immunity.
Health benefits of methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
Methi or fenugreek seeds form an important ingredient in Indian households. It is a rich reservoir of medicinal properties that imparts many health benefits.
Galactogogue: It promotes lactation and boosts milk production in lactating mothers. This is due to the presence of diosgenin in the spice which increases milk production in lactating mothers. It also helps in aiding menstrual cramps & pain symptoms.
It lowers down your sugar level: Fenugreek seeds contains fiber which slows down digestion of carbohydrate in inpiduals which helps in slowing down the rate of sugar absorption in the blood. Thus diabetics are advised to include fenugreek seeds in their daily lifestyle.
- Aids in weight loss: fenugreek seeds contain natural soluble fiber that swells and fill the stomach thereby suppressing your appetite and aiding your weight loss goals.
Health benefits of sesame seeds
Sesame seeds are tiny, flat oval seeds with a nutty taste and a delicate, almost invisible crunch. They are high in calcium & thus help in maintaining bone health.
Healthy lipid profile: It is rich in mono unsaturated fatty acids which cuts off bad cholesterol [that is the LDL cholesterol] and improves the good cholesterol [that Is the HDL cholesterol].
Antioxidant: It contains two main antioxidants that fights off harmful free radicals and boosts immune system making it stronger to fight infections.
Rich source of calcium: It ensures good bone health and prevents osteoporosis in later stages. Thus daily consumption of sesame seeds in minimal quantities can also help in maintaining bone health.
- Improves insulin sensitivity: It also contains magnesium which lowers blood glucose and improves insulin sensitivity, in diabetic inpiduals.
Health benefits of cumin seeds
Cumin seeds were highly honored as a culinary seasoning in both ancient Greek and Roman kitchens. It is an Indian spice that you shall find in every household for cooking as well as for some health rescues.
Improves digestion: The component which is present in cumin seeds like essential oil and thymol are responsible for complete digestion by secreting enzymes and bile acids.
Immunity booster: The presence of vitamin C in cumin seeds allows the spice to serve as an immune system booster as well as the Vitamin C also helps in improving skin & hair of an inpidual.
- Helps in Respiratory disorder: The presence of caffeine (the stimulating agent), and the richly aromatic essential oils (the disinfectants) makes cumin an ideal anti congestive combination for those suffering from respiratory disorders such as asthma and bronchitis. A piping hot cumin flavored drink serves as good cough reliever to inpiduals.
Health benefits of black pepper
Black pepper comes from the berries of the pepper plant. They come in variation such as Black pepper, green pepper and white peppercorns. Black pepper is the most pungent and flavorful spice of all types of peppers and it is available as whole or cracked peppercorns or ground into powder.
- Relieves respiratory disorders: It helps in relieving respiratory disorders, coughs and common cold. It is consumed in forms of herbal tea, health drinks, etc.
- Aids in digestion: The compound piperine present in pepper stimulate digestive juices and enzymes, which further aids in digestion.
- Aids in Weight Loss: Black peppercorns have diuretic properties because of which an inpidual tends to sweat & urinate more frequently. It is also rich in antioxidants & has antibacterial properties which further stimulates breakdown of fat cells, thus helping the overweight to shed some fat.
Health benefits of fennel seeds
Fennel is a perennial herb which belongs to the parsley (Umbelliferae) family. It is an aromatic and flavorful herb that has several culinary as well as medicinal uses. Fennel seeds are known as saunf in Hindi & it is highly used as mukhwass in Indian families.
- Relieves water retention: Drinking fennel tea on a regular basis will help in flushing out excess fluids from the body as it works as a diuretic.
Helps in boosting metabolism: Fennel seeds are rich source of antioxidants & Vitamin C, which makes them important part of our diet, as both the nutrients helps in building a strong immune system by basic functions such as skin repair & boosting metabolism.